Monday 26 March 2012

Sunshine..

What a beautiful sunshiny day today has been! We love spring, the flowers, the light nights, the smell of cider in the air...
Today I've had chance to wash all the new fabric and hang out all the finished dresses, ready to be pressed and hung up for our 2nd Vintage & Handmade craft fair. We ran one at Christmas together with 'Stock' vintage clothing (@ffimeister) & Junk photography (www.junkphotography.co.uk) and it was really successful. We had made small things, Christmas decorations, a few small cushions, that kind of thing. We were totally blown away when we counted our takings! I think we might have looked a bit amateur holding hands and squealing behind the stall, but it was such an amazing feeling.  People seemed to really like all of our stuff!
I've made a few bits and pieces before for my children. My mum used to buy 'Clothkits' and sew like a demon to make us unique clothes. I loved the feeling as a child that I had handmade clothes on, I was proud of my Mum and the things she made.
Sadly my Mum passed away in 2010 and ever since I've tried to recreate the garments she made for me with a modern twist. I've knitted hats for my friend's babies and for Christmas I made my baby a dress. People liked it..so I made some more.
I am really pleased my Mum showed me how to knit and sew and I hope my children are interested in it. It's so nice being able to make things, instead of just buying the same clothes as other people. Ironically it isn't the cheapest option these days to make your own, but it's the satisfaction of a finished article.
So, after a productive day in the sunshine and the smell of apples and cider, I dedicate this post to my Mum, Diana Mary.  I thank her for having the patience to pass on skills I can and do use. Here's cheers..


No comments:

Post a Comment